POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Light or Normal Problem : Re: Light or Normal Problem Server Time
5 May 2024 06:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light or Normal Problem
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Feb 2004 06:10:05
Message: <eunrg1-u74.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
berni wrote:
>>Let me see if i understand this right - you ask the POV-Team to compile
>>you a 3.5 version because you are not able to compile one yourself?
>

> Exactly. But this is a bug in 3.5 which is fixed in 3.6 (tty problem), so
> everyone downloading the 3.5 binaries from pov-ray who wants to use it in a
> script (CGI, webmin, Java, etc.) will experience this problem. So this would
> be more efficient - if 3.6 final is not ready anytime soon. Unfortunately
> compiling is not trivial for me (of course I can go and install linux
> somewhere or spend $$$ for my own server and go through the troubles of
> compiling sources - but my time and money resources are rather limited).
>
> Doesn't this make sense to you?

No, you say you can install and run the linux version but don't have
access to a linux machine to compile it...

Apart from that POV-Ray 3.5 has been around for a long time now - do you
expect that the POV-Team makes a bugfix release now that 3.6 is already
in beta?  The 3.6 beta is quite stable (the normal problem is just a
lack of backwards compatibility - not a real bug).  Although i can't
speak for the Team the official statement most likely would be: use the
beta or work around the problem by compiling your own version.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______