POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scaling problem using uv_mapping image_pattern : Re: scaling problem using uv_mapping image_pattern Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scaling problem using uv_mapping image_pattern
From: Eric Medlin
Date: 22 Mar 2004 15:54:15
Message: <eric.medlin-86B40A.15541422032004@news.povray.org>
In article <eric.medlin-2340FC.12013022032004@news.povray.org>,
 Eric Medlin <eri### [at] ipapercom> wrote:

> In article <eric.medlin-7A9A0A.15165719032004@news.povray.org>,
>  Eric Medlin <eri### [at] ipapercom> wrote:
>
> > I have the following texture attached to a model:
> > texture{
> >   normal{ uv_mapping image_pattern{ jpeg "mask.jpg" interpolate 2}
> >     normal_map{
> >       [0.5 bump_map{ jpeg "bump.jpg" interpolate 2} scale 0.02]
> >       [0.5 bozo scale 0.02 bump_size 0.5]
> >     }
> >   }
> > }
> >
> > Now the normals maps are scaled to 0.02, if I change the uv_mapping
> > image_pattern... to just image_pattern the normals maps are no longer
> > the same scale.  I have to change the normal maps scales to 0.2 to make
> > it match the uv mapped image pattern.  How is uv_mapping effecting the
> > scale?
>
> OK, I think I figured out what it is doing.  You cannot apply uv_mapping
> to image_pattern, so it is applying it to the normals causing it to
> scale.  If this is correct, then how can I use a uv_mapped mask to
> decided where each normal map should be applied?

This just seems like a bug to me.  It is actually uv mapping the mask to
the object, but it is scaling the normal maps also.  I changed it to a
texture map as a test and it still does the uv mapping for the mask and
scales the pattern.  Why would the pattern be a different scale if the
image pattern is uv mapped or not?  The image pattern should just give a
value for the map not scale whats in the map.  I plan to move this to
povray.bugreports if I or someone else don't find figure this out.