POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direct links to other's resources : Re: Direct links to other's resources Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct links to other's resources
From: Sven-Erik Andersen
Date: 16 May 2000 07:52:54
Message: <erc2is0jea4si3ptkom02vc91inn7anqra@4ax.com>
On Tue, 16 May 2000 03:32:24 -0500, "Bob Hughes" >I'm haphazard myself, the
ignorant s.o.b. that I am  :-)
>Often I see it as a more suitable thing to link to a web page since it
>will have info about a file.  Even if it's on a FTP directory I might link to the
whole
>thing instead of a solitary file.
>However I have also quite often shared a link with others via email or at a
>message board (and here at news.povray I'm pretty sure) which simply goes
>directly to a file.  Seeing the talk here has me trying to rethink this.
>Back to the subject matter, I hate to see a good resource pulled but there's
>obviously something to be considered mo
>re thoroughly.  Takes time to think
>and that's how I viewed all this.  There was delay in getting any agreements
>(or otherwise).  Most of all since there's more to it than even personal choices
>then it probably is best if October were to try and adjust to those internet "rules",
>so maybe there is still a way to get the web page satisfactory for all.
>Well, just expressing my opinion.  Don't want to step on toes.  It was a great
>set of links.
>
>Bob

I would have to agree that October should only link to the web-page. One
moment I haven't seen mentioned her is that not all have access to the
logg-files, or have only partial access. On my new home away from home the
provider only reveals the HTML-file accesses and discard everything else. So
the only way I can get an idea how many downloads my NewIOR.inc file is to see
how many access the page it is linked from. Others who even don't get a
partial log have to rely on 3rd party providers like Superstats to get such
information. And if they make obscure files like the NewIOR, any feedback is
welcome. If they see people access the HTML-page they know some are interested
in it, and that can be a powerful incentive to keep upgrade it.

Sven-Erik Andersen
----
sve### [at] andersenas
sea### [at] mailcitycom