POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What would it take to get focal blur fixed? : Re: What would it take to get focal blur fixed? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What would it take to get focal blur fixed?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Sep 2006 00:15:09
Message: <ef6puc$1b5$1@chho.imagico.de>
dkleckner wrote:

> Thanks for your quick feedback.
>
> I'm quite disappointed in the lack of interest in fixing the focal blur in
> the main release.

Huh?  Where did i say there is no interest in improvements of the focal
blur feature?  The only place where i talked about limited interest was
the MLPov bokeh_pigment patch.  And as described this patch only allows
to vary the grid pattern used, it does not change the technique itself.

> I fail to see why it would be difficult to implement a monte-carlo based
> approach or why it would be ineffecient or unreliable;

I said the claim implementing a new focal blur system would be 'very
easy' is lightheaded when you intend it to be reliable and efficient.
This is based on my experience in working on the POV-Ray source and my
knowledge of the complexity of the problem.  It has nothing to do with
any particular approach you might take to this.  And i would be happy to
be proven wrong with that although i feel this is - unlikely.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 20 Aug. 2006)