POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released : Re: Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released Server Time
14 May 2024 13:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Sep 2006 06:05:03
Message: <edbkvm$mne$1@chho.imagico.de>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>   You are right, the stats report about 1-2% of new samples. But almost
> in all my recent scenes this leads to invisible artifacts. On the
> difference image you have to raise brightness and contrast to the
> maximum to see them. But curiously, the artifacts do not seem to
> visually have any relation with the tiles... they seem a global thing.
>
>   In any case, I suppose this happens also when I distribute manually a
> rendering over my machines. And as I always use the two-pass radiosity
> method, the only difference for me when using XRS is that I need much
> less effort and time to obtain the same result.

Well, in a lot of cases small variances between renders do not matter
much but there are also cases where exact reproducibility is necessary.

The fact that you don't have tiling aligned structures in the difference
image just means your sample spacing in the pre-acquired data
(influenced by effective error_bound and pretrace_end) is very small in
comparison to the tiles.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 20 Aug. 2006)