POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released : Re: Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov XRS Server v2.0.5 and pyxrsclient v0.6.7 released
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Sep 2006 02:25:03
Message: <edb807$j91$1@chho.imagico.de>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> Christoph Hormann wrote:
>> Now this is unlikely - considering the modifications you made even
>> impossible - that you can guarantee tiling artefact free results with
>> non-sequential rendering.  Running the pretrace for the full image in
>> advance will reduce the problems but it will not remove them (try
>> comparing two images of two different renders with different tilings
>> and you will see).
>
>   I tested it now with several scenes, and I don't see any tiling
> artifact when using precalculated radiosity. See the examples on p.b.i.
> The rad data was saved with MegaPOV on the fastest computer, and copied
> to the other computers (which already had all the scene files and the
> same povray config) for the parallel render.

I am pretty sure even if you can't see any differences you will be able
see them when actually calculating the difference between the images
(can't well do that with your example since it is jpg-compressed).  The
difference might be small in a lot of cases but with critical settings
it can be large enough to be visible (in the extreme case you don't do
any pretrace like Gilles for example did in a lot of cases).

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 20 Aug. 2006)