POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Random Numbers : Re: Random Numbers Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random Numbers
From: Mike Williams
Date: 31 Oct 2003 00:07:04
Message: <eQRP4FAkzeo$EwG4@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Matthew Pace who wrote:
>Ok, perfect.  Thanks a lot, that sums up all I needed to know.  One last
>question though, is there a way to seed the file with a time based
>variable, like in programming?

There's a facility for doing this in earlier versions of MegaPOV, but it
didn't make it into MegaPOV 1.0 when it was rewritten based on the POV
3.5 source instead of the 3.1 source.

   "MegaPOV 1.0 is a fresh start, based on the sources of POV-Ray 3.5.
   This means that not all features of MegaPOV 0.7 are implemented yet."

If you don't need to use any 3.5 features, then you can use MegaPOV 0.7,
or go looking to see if the feature made it into any other patches. The
syntax is

   #declare Seed = seed(tick_count);

--
Mike Williams