POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : trace macro misunderstanding ? : Re: trace macro misunderstanding ? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:03:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: trace macro misunderstanding ?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 8 Oct 2009 10:01:58
Message: <eKYl8FCU8ezKFwpr@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it fdecomite who wrote:
>I would like to find when and where a ray hits a specified object.
>The hit could take place after one or more reflections on other objects.
>I thought the trace macro would help, but it seems that trace() pays no
>attention to auxiliary objects, finding the way of the ray in straight line....
>Am i missing something ?

Trace() only considers one object. To follow the reflections you'd have
to trace every possible reflective, refractive or transparent object and
see which one gets hit first, then use the normal value you get back
from trace() to work out where the ray bounces to after that.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure