POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pretrace - radiosity : Re: Pretrace - radiosity Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pretrace - radiosity
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 30 May 2006 08:25:03
Message: <e5hde0$ito$1@chho.imagico.de>
POVMAN wrote:
> Can anyone tell me in laymans terms what the "pretrace" settings in
> radiosity does?

The pretrace makes the renderer run across the image area in a coarse
(and successively finer) pattern and trace the pixels with modified
radiosity settings (the modifications being low_error_factor and
always_sample) before doing the actual render.

The pretrace settings adjust what grid stepping is used for the pretrace.

> My recent renderings have not shown any significant
> differences when changing this value.

The pretrace influences the distribution of radiosity samples.  There
are a lot of cases where this does not make much visible difference but
in general the results *always* differ when changing the pretrace
settings (the difference might be too small to see).

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 27 May. 2006)