POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism : Re: PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism Server Time
8 May 2024 05:58:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay for scientific illustration: diagrams to photorealism
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 May 2006 04:05:02
Message: <e46o2v$jm4$1@chho.imagico.de>
Paul Bourke wrote:
> Some readers may be aware that I use PovRay for scientific visualisation
> (among other things). I recently worked on a research project and PovRay
> was used extensively including most of the figures in the final published
> paper. I just wrote up some notes on the use of PovRay for one of the paper
> images that was rendered in three very different ways: during the research,
> as a diagram in a journal, and an attempt at photorealism for a large high
> quality poster. For more information see
>    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling/scifigure/

A few notes on the paper version (figure1):

- you are writing that it uses orthographic projection but the camera in
the scene is perspective.
- for precise results you should better use a parallel light or no light
source at all (just working with slope pattern etc.).
- i think the center object could well use some actual shading to
illustrate the 3D nature even in the flat version.  Due to the light
position at the camera the surface just gets dark on the left side for
both orientations - you have to look very closely to see the direction
of the twist.
- the shading on the right side object that is used to show the 3D
nature could be emphasized by the use of radiosity (it would make the
surface darker near the crossings and brighter at the areas more exposed
to the environment).

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 04 May. 2006)