POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sponza radiosity competition : Re: Sponza radiosity competition Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sponza radiosity competition
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Apr 2006 12:35:03
Message: <e1j9ua$lcc$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:

>   After playing with it a bit (with povray 3.6; it doesn't really need
> megapov per se) I got something which perhaps resembles a bit more (but
> not completely) the original:
>
> http://warp.povusers.org/sponza.jpg

That looks quite reasonable for a straight away render of a converted
scene.  What has to be said however is that competitions of the type
"supplying a scene designed with application X and having programs
compete how well they render this scene" is not a good estimate for
renderer abilities in general - it just benchmarks the conversion
programs and how close the abilities of the renderer match the
requirements of application X and the scene (in this case indirect
illumination of bump mapped meshes).

For an unbiased comparison the rendering problem would have to be
described in a more generic way - and in this case this would of course
be as much a modeling competition as a rendering one.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 14 Mar. 2006)