POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SIGGRAPH Boston 2006 Birds of a Feather conference. : Re: SIGGRAPH Boston 2006 Birds of a Feather conference. Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SIGGRAPH Boston 2006 Birds of a Feather conference.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Mar 2006 05:30:03
Message: <e035uf$jfu$1@chho.imagico.de>
gregjohn wrote:

> I'm going to this conference.  One can set up "Birds of a Feather" meetings.
> My guess is it ain't anything special, just one table in a lobby of a hotel
> for an hour or so.  If there are any pov'vers attending, let me know what
> you think.
>
> From what I know about povray, I'd assume the clerk at SIGGRAPH would not
> balk at it being "one commercial product."
>
> On the other hand, even with no response here it might be interesting to try
> to set one up anyway, given how one could troll (the fishing term, not the
> inflammatory debate connotation) for professionals in the industry who
> might be povray hobbyists.

Concerning the idea of attracting CG-industry people that are POV-Ray
hobbyists - this i consider pretty unlikely, most people working for or
using commercial CG products will probably know POV-Ray only from
hearing or as one of the programs they have tried in their early days
and they remember being 'ugly'.  So i assume your main 'customers' would
be hobbyists or people without a POV-Ray background just interested.

What you should definitely have is some info sheets/flyers to hand out
to people and maybe a notebook with a slideshow of POV-Ray images.  We
could surely help you with preparing some info material if needed.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 14 Mar. 2006)