POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright question : Re: Copyright question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright question
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Jan 2006 10:00:04
Message: <dpm0dp$nof$1@chho.imagico.de>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> I have a question about copyright.
>
> Over the last few months I've posted images (see p.b.i.) of my version of
> Escher's Double Planetoid illustration. I'm thinking of rendering some
> images, including this one, for exhibition on Zazzle. Although the image
> was completely generated from scratch by me, the inspiration and concept
> obviously come from Escher's work. My question is, would I be infringing
> any existing copyright by doing this? If so, is there a way around it (i.e.
> a credit to the original artist)?

Deciding if a work inspired by that of someone else is a derived work
isn't always easy.  I'd say (but IANAL) that you are on the safe side if
you can say you could reasonably have created your image without knowing
of Escher's Double Planetoid.

Note the mere fact of a mathematical/geometric similarity is not an
argument - you can't copyright a geometric figure per se or any other
abstract idea.

Useful reading might be:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=281665

Christoph