POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur : Re: MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur Server Time
14 May 2024 19:11:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Jan 2006 10:50:05
Message: <dpgqlp$p9r$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:
>>My only concerning is about the decision of removing the
>>"reflection_blur" feature from this release (see rev. 0.7) which, for me,
>>could add more realism to reflective surfaces.
>
>   Blurred reflections (and refractions) can already be used in the
> official POV-Ray (since quite long time, actually), and in fact they
> can be used in a more versatile and diverse ways. That might be one
> reason why they didn't bother keeping the reflection_blur hack in
> megapov.

That's right (although it wasn't the question whether to keep the patch
but whether to reintegrate it).  A reflection blur patch with adaptive
sampling would be very welcome though.

Concerning photons-only light sources - you can accomplish this by
shooting the photons in a first pass (with only 1 pixel size output) and
using load_file in the actual render without the light sources.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)