POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG Union causes major slow-down : Re: CSG Union causes major slow-down Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:38:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Union causes major slow-down
From: Peter Popov
Date: 21 May 2000 04:02:42
Message: <dn5fisgoep4af6t4kirl1398iuq92fj07r@4ax.com>

<ffj### [at] club-internetfr> wrote:

>Use 'merge' instead of 'union' and manually bound it with a bounded_by { sphere
>or box } as closely as possible.

Merge is internally represented as a complex CSG. It takes more memory
and generally takes longer to render than the equivalent union. This
is not true in some special cases but this shouldn't be one of them.

>POV will consider your wall as a single block and not as thousand of bricks.

Wrong (I think). It just represents it as a complex CSG to remove the
inner surfaces.

>It worked when I had thousands of spheres to render. Hope it will for you too.

If the spheres were transparent and stacked, maybe. I doubt it will
help in the stones macro case.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet