POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plant System : Re: Plant System Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plant System
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Nov 2005 06:23:57
Message: <dm47mf$brl$1@chho.imagico.de>
Gena wrote:
>>No, i don't agree here.  You are seriously limited in what techniques
>>you can use when implementing a plant system in SDL.  Most part of
>>developing a plant generator is not the code generating the actual mesh
>>but the underlying stuff generating the plant structure.  Making this
>>both flexible and intuitive to use at the same time is the real
>>challenge and quite impossible with the limited means of the SDL.
>

> But there are several different tree system implemented already in SDL :)
> I think that currently available SDL features would be enough.

That's not the question, of course you can in theory implement anything
in SDL.  But i doubt anyone will really write an universal plant system
in SDL let alone maintain it.

The currently existing SDL based plant generators are quite simple and
quite specialized.  For a really universal plant system you need to be
able to not just adjust parameters of a fixed growth algorithm but must
be able to define the growth rules themselves.  Advanced things like
self collision detection would be extremely ugly and slow with the
current SDL.

> I meant that now you have to write patch and recompile the whole
> program rather than just write plug-in for it.

I don't understand why it is more difficult to compile a patched POV-Ray
than compiling an imaginary 'plug-in'.

>>Well - the idea of a patch is not to have the user code in C to use it.
>>    The best approach IMO is to have a fairly low level interface to SDL
>>that allows very flexible use but have the actual plant generation
>>internally for good performance.
>
> Could you clarify what you mean?

Sure.  There is an internal plant generator that generates a mesh
object.  There is a SDL interface to this which can be used to define
the plant system rules that are interpreted by the plant system.  In
terms of language syntax it would be a new shape which behaves exactly
like a mesh.  The rules could be given with classical L-System strings

set of macros could be created that generates common plant shapes with a
limited set of adjustable parameters.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)