POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Callling all Earth renderers - Blue Marble "next generation" : Re: Callling all Earth renderers - Blue Marble "next generation" Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Callling all Earth renderers - Blue Marble "next generation"
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Oct 2005 11:30:02
Message: <dj0fok$8mv$1@chho.imagico.de>
Rick DeNatale wrote:

> You have some very nice renderings which seem to be a a fairly low
> altitude, but I can't seem to find a description on your web site of how
> you did it (or just what the altitude is).

Well - the technique is outlined on:

http://www.imagico.de/pov/planets.html

When you use an isosurface for the geometry you are completely free to
define the height function - you can combine a low detail basis with a
higher detail region.  To define the areas the boxed pattern is well
suited (for faster results i also recently used an object pattern when
the transit region is not visible).  Mapping this to the sphere can be
done using mapping warps or f_th/f_ph functions.

Most renders on http://www.imagico.de/pov/earth.html are from an
altitude of about 200-500km.  The ones on
http://www.imagico.de/pov/earth2.html are about 50-150km.

> Any tips?  I've thought of trying to slice up the whole earth image
> somehow, is this what you did?  My thought is to process the image with
> the convert tool from ImageMagick.

To extract an area from a very large image you need a tool that is able
to do this without loading the whole image into memory.  The GDAL
library can do this (specifically the gdal_translate program):

http://www.gdal.org/

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 07 Oct. 2005)