POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disable splash window : Re: Disable splash window Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disable splash window
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Sep 2005 18:55:01
Message: <dhcib0$g6h$1@chho.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

>>Well what's obvious is that the only reason you would want to disable the
>>splash screen is to obscure the fact that POV-Ray is called and this it
>>both unethical and illegal.
>

> I have an Access database that calls POV-Ray from a Visual Basic script: the
> splash screen was getting in the way so that I used the old MS-DOS version
> instead of the Windows one. It's only unethical and illegal to obscure the
> fact that POV-Ray is called if one wants to give such a system to other
> people, but if one is doing it for a personal purpose the question is
> perfectly sound.

Well - i didn't say anything like that, did i?  If you had quoted the
next sentence i had written it would have been clear that this is not
the problem.  Using a console version of POV-Ray is all right - not only
for personal use (although i would specifically not suggest to use an
outdated DOS version).

But if you want to use the GUI version you should accept the fact that
program information and credits are displayed when the program is
started in a way appropriate for the style of user interface (i.e. a
splash screen).  If you don't like this (and i can think of good reasons
for this) don't use the GUI version.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)