POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some aid in physics required... : Re: Some aid in physics required... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some aid in physics required...
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Feb 2004 12:58:03
Message: <dgrpg1-tmb.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> I'm stuck: my new I/O Particle-System uses adaptive iteration to calcul
ate
> the path for a particle, along with object interaction. Now, when Parti
cles
> would normally roll on a surface, they oscillate heavily in my System:
> Gravity pulls them down, object interaction puts them back on surface,
only
> the speed perpendicular to the surface-normal is retained. Thus, a part
icle
> won't slow down when rolling along plane, but it will "hop" on the surf
ace
> hundreds of times (two of my particles reached more than 2500 iteration
> that way...).
>
> To avoid this, I want a particle to switch to "Rolling" when enough
> iterations have been done, and thus the particle will just get moved al
ong
> the surface without "real" interaction. Now, if I'd just be dealing wit
h a
> plane, that'd be no problem, but since particles may also roll uphill,
> want to calculate how much velocity they'd lose when doing that. I know
 the
> angle of the surface, the initial velocity and the distance the particl
> will travel, now what's the formulae to calculate how much velocity is
lost?

In a particle system you usually describe the particles as point masses
so they won't roll (rolling means rotation and a point can't rotate).
The effect you get (hopping) is pretty normal but it will diminish if
you add damping (just imagine a glass marble falling on a carpet floor
instead of a massive steel block).  Damping can be modelled in different

ways - you can either continuously diminish the kinetic energy or you
slow down the particles during every collision.

> For simplicities sake, use a ball with 10km/h that starts rolling a 45
> degree upward slope for 10 meters. Gravity is 10m/s. What'd be the velo
city
> after 5 meters? What's the formula for that?

depends on the friction between the ball and the surface (if you really
want it rolling you also have to take the moment of inertia into account)
.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______