POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New Planting Method : Re: New Planting Method Server Time
2 May 2024 16:51:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Planting Method
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 Sep 2005 05:15:01
Message: <dg0shl$4o6$1@chho.imagico.de>
Norbert Kern wrote:

> It's only my experience, that with millions of objects my computer gets slow
> even with 2 GB memory.

What exactly gets slow?  Everything (placing the trees of course,
parsing the generated trees, rendering) should be roughly proportional
to the number of objects (rendering even faster) as long as you don't
exceed memory.

> Beside, with about 11 million copies of anything the coordinates file alone
> takes 1.5 GB memory.

And of course parsing such a file will take some time.  You might be
able to improve this by storing the numbers with different accuracy
(normal vectors usually do not require a lot of decimal places).  And
when you position objects you should not use macros, better calculate a
matrix and write it to the file.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)