POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Best hardware to buy : Re: Best hardware to buy Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:30:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Best hardware to buy
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 8 Sep 2005 04:50:01
Message: <dfotoj$4p6$1@chho.imagico.de>
Rick Measham wrote:
> What's the best hardware around for rendering pov?

That much depends on what kind of scenes you render.

> With 3.7 allowing for multiprocessors, I'm thinking that that is the way
> to go, though how many processors can it handle?

You should note that 3.7 is not ready for production use at the moment.
    And it is not necessarily that a multiprocessor system will give you
a better performace/price ratio.

This of course does not mean a multiprocessor system can't be useful for
POV-Ray use (even for 3.6 based versions).

> Does a good graphics card speed things up at all, or is it all CPU?

http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/miscQandT.html#3dcard

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)