POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.8 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.8 available. Server Time
18 May 2024 17:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.8 available.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Aug 2005 08:20:01
Message: <deplha$6sv$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:

>   I just noticed that HDR images can be used for creating heightfields.
> This opens an entire new world of extremely high-definition heightfields,
> with much better definition than even a 16-bit PNG heightfield.

Actually not - the resolution is just non-uniform (i.e. near zero height
you have a much finer resolution than at higher values).  With EXR files
with 32bit values you will indeed have a higher accuracy though.

And note that heightfields AFAIK are bounded by box { 0, 1 } - using
high dynamic range there will result in clipping.

As a side note: The necessity for a more than 16bit resolution is quite
rare for heightfields since a high vertical resolution is usually only
necessary in combination with a high horizontal resolution (and a
heightfield of about 2^16 pixel horizontal size will use quite
exorbitant amounts of memory).

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)