POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : negative index of refraction : Re: negative index of refraction Server Time
5 May 2024 08:56:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: negative index of refraction
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Aug 2005 09:05:01
Message: <dekfgs$ht7$1@chho.imagico.de>
wolfman wrote:

> The refractive index n is defined as n^2=permittivity*permeability, so n=+/-
> sqrt(permittivity*permeability) (in reality, it's even more complicated).

Just to make it clear: n^2=permittivity*permeability is not a
definition, it's just a furmula n is supposed to comply with (and there
is no unique solution for n).  n = sqrt(permittivity*permeability) would
be a definition but it would not allow negative n (sqrt(x) is positive
or imaginary for any non-complex x).

> If you don't believe me, google "metamaterials", there is lot's of stuff.

No one said this - you just did not say what negative ior means to you
previously.

> So, back to my problem, has anybody any idea of where the IOR is implemented
> in POV-ray?

Using

grep -r -I -E "[[:space:][:punct:]]ior[[:space:][:punct:]]" *

on the POV-Ray code finds pretty much every use of IOR.

> Or what can I do to be able to have a negative sign for the
> IOR?

Again: why do you assume you can't use a negative IOR.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)