POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what will be in the next major version of povray
From: Joaquin Hierro Diaz
Date: 16 Dec 1999 15:57:06
Message: <deji5ssq6noft8tofilfhj1el4053d83k1@4ax.com>
On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:13:08 -0500, Chris Huff
<chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>Hmn, would it be useful or feasible to allow POV to read .zip files
>directly? Are there any license restrictions on .zip compression, or any
>other reason this wouldn't be done?

Well, I didn't think on that theme, because as Infozip Zip programs
are free, it has been ported to more platforms than Povray
(unbelieable but true ;-)) and than in the Infozip's copying info file
(http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/doc/COPYING) they say there are not
problems with using the sources (including commercial ones), it seems
an easier approximation to a 'binary' povray scene file.

I am aware than Unisys turned a bit more money-hungry recently with
the lzw theme, but AFAIK it's over commercial application which write
lzw compressed files.

If that idea is not possible, what about a .tgz file? ;-)

(Sorry but I'm used to read more than to write in english.)