POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.8 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.8 available. Server Time
18 May 2024 13:34:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.8 available.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Aug 2005 15:50:02
Message: <deda34$d30$1@chho.imagico.de>
gregjohn wrote:

> Is this process a hint that you're ultimately working on a truly GPL'able
> version of povray?  Are yall progressively rewriting sections of code?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I've been doing some advocacy to get povray
> included in some linux distros. I've already seen one case where someone
> has misinterpreted the povray license.

Note that most Linux distributions do not require software to be GPL
licensed to include it in their distribution.  In fact some of the most
important core parts of nearly all linux distributions are under BSD or
other licenses.

Also note that modifications of the POV-Ray license for version 3.6 made
it specifically easier to include POV-Ray in Linux or other free OS
distributions.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)