POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Linux framebuffer patch version 0.3 released : Re: Linux framebuffer patch version 0.3 released Server Time
15 May 2024 19:42:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux framebuffer patch version 0.3 released
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Aug 2005 13:45:02
Message: <de2hb1$6i$1@chho.imagico.de>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:

>     This patch is against pov 3.6, for which I doubt there will be any
> such core change.

For integrating this patch into MegaPOV we have to consider
maintainability.  It is quite possibe that there will be patches
changing the way images are read in the future.  To add some feature not
actually extending program usability, just adding some gimmick, at this
cost is not very good.  So when adding this patch to MegaPOV (which i
seriously consider - the patch itself is a very interesting and useful
one) i will most likely remove this part.

>> No but what use has transparency except having a totally transparent
>> image
>

>     That's precisely the point.
>
> (which does not need to be an image anyway).
>
>     I'd be interested to see how you would use the current background.*
> feature to get transparent background (apart from disabling the default
> checker code or adding support for some extra command / env var).

Quite simple: reserve a certain file name used for the background image
to be interpreted as plain transparent.  Same can be used for different
internally generated checkers.  See the ImageMagick built-in
Images/Patterns for what i mean.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)