POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Linux framebuffer patch version 0.3 released : Re: Linux framebuffer patch version 0.3 released Server Time
15 May 2024 16:38:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux framebuffer patch version 0.3 released
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Aug 2005 12:05:02
Message: <de2bi2$uvg$1@chho.imagico.de>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:

>     ... and you know that looking at the code will tell you that
> those core functions aren't badly hijacked: it's actually quite clean
> :-)

Well - this is not the point.  The problem is that when making changes
to the core code possible requirements of the frontend using the code
for a different nonstandard purpose are no concern.  In other words: The
interfaces between core code and platform specific frontend should be
well defined for both directions and currently this is not the case for
using the image reading functions in the frontend.

>> Maybe we should just write a simple PPM reader that can be used by all
>

>     PPM can't handle transparency (gimp says).  Can it?

No but what use has transparency except having a totally transparent
image (which does not need to be an image anyway).  Note you can of
course also implement a PNG reader but this would require libpng.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)