POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Megapov 1.2 - mechsim - How can I remove a mass : Re: Megapov 1.2 - mechsim - How can I remove a mass Server Time
16 May 2024 01:00:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov 1.2 - mechsim - How can I remove a mass
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Aug 2005 09:20:02
Message: <ddng62$67o$1@chho.imagico.de>
submersible toaster wrote:
> So something like this might be called right after load_file , expires some
> mass objects . It would require either careful use of concat() and str() or
> a shell-out to something that can read a file listing the mass indexes to
> expire. ??

The mechsim data file format can't be read using the SDL file reading
features so you would need an external tool for this.

>>modifying the data file.  To be more precise: access to simulation data
>>from the scene file is completely read-only.
>
> Is that by design or simply that it's not a often requested feature?

By design to some extent.  It would not really be difficult to add this
from side of the mechsim patch but the POV-Ray scene description
language currently does not offer any comparable feature so it would
change the nature of the language to have such a function.

For example offering something like

mechsim:mass(Cnt):remove()

would be possible but it would be a function which returns nothing -
something that currently does not exit in POV-Ray.

Another possibility would be to have the topology{} block and topology
elements be declarable:

#declare Obj = topology { load_file "test.dat" }

and allow access to its elements via

Obj:mass(i)

this way you would have completely free control over the simulation data
from the scene file.  But this would also be something completely new in
terms of language design.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)