POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Model a real world camera : Re: Model a real world camera Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Model a real world camera
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 Jul 2005 08:35:02
Message: <dc01p9$u89$1@chho.imagico.de>
Alblurrow wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to PovRay, and I'm using it to create some test images for a robot
> localization problem. I want to model the camera the robot has. I've
> searched the newsgroups and googled but I haven't found the right way to do
> it.
>
> As you cannot specify the focal lenth of the camera it has to be done
> through the other parameters.

The focal length alone does not define the field of view of the camera.
  To calculate the camera angle from the focal length and the sensor
size use simple geometry - the formula you gave is correct for normal
lenses, for others see:

http://bobatkins.com/photography/technical/field_of_view.html

> This is what I've written but it doesn't work:

'It does not work' has not much value as description of a problem.  Note
the sensor resolution is not relvant to set up the camera in POV-Ray.  See:

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/246/

for the meaning of the camera parameters.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 01 Jul. 2005)