POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Modified Povray code implementing sub-surface scattering : Re: Modified Povray code implementing sub-surface scattering Server Time
15 May 2024 12:39:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modified Povray code implementing sub-surface scattering
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Jul 2005 14:55:01
Message: <dbor1h$bnq$1@chho.imagico.de>
Antonio Ferrari wrote:

> 1 - poor results: the quality reached has never been like the one seen in
> the image seen for example in the articles about real sub-surface
> scattering.

As already said the scattering media simulation in POV-Ray is more
realistic than most subsurface scattering techniques.

> 2 - it's very complicated to reach a good approximation/simulation of sss in
> povray.
>
> The problem stands for generic objects. It's easy to apply density to a
> simple object (a sphere, a box, etc.) but for a generic or complex objects
> things change: the only way I found was the construction of a density file
> ad-hoc, using macros that scanned the interior of an object and calculated
> a particular density in strata near the outer surface. It's not easy to
> explain this idea. It was just an idea; my job doesnt allow me to find the
> necessary time to implement it... :(

Using media is not restricted in any way - you can use it for
arbitrarily complex surfaces.  In most cases constant density is
perfectly sufficient (and i am pretty sure most examples you see in
subsurface scattering demonstration use constant density as well).

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 01 Jul. 2005)