POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [speed considerations] evaluate in isosurface : Re: [speed considerations] evaluate in isosurface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [speed considerations] evaluate in isosurface
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Jun 2005 16:55:01
Message: <d8ng1b$e0a$1@chho.imagico.de>
JYR wrote:

> I tend to jump to the conclusion that in 3.6.1a using evaluate instead of a
> fixed max_gradient leads to faster renders, more or less so depending on
> the parameters (17% or 25% faster in the case above), whereas in the betas,
> evaluate with nonoptimal parameters can lead to definitely slower renders
> (approx. 15% slower above).

evaluate in isosurfaces is one of the features that will inevitably lead
to different results (and especially also different performace) in a
multithreaded render.

Note although there is no 'correct' way to handle this the most
reasonable would probably be to have every render thread maintain its
own evaluate parameters.  But in the end using 'evaluate' makes most
sense in a single threaded render.

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______