POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : using POV-ray for simulations : Re: using POV-ray for simulations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using POV-ray for simulations
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 May 2005 06:45:01
Message: <d71kq1$5nr$1@chho.imagico.de>
cazed wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to simulate a cameras baffle and I'm trying to figure out if I
> can use POVray for this purpose.
>
> What I'm trying to simulate is how many photons from a light source outside
> the target area will hit a imaging chip.
>
> What I need is to count the number of photons that hit a specific object. Is
> there any way of getting POVray to report this data?

Short answer: no.

Long answer:

POV-Ray uses different techniques to calculate different mechanisms of
light transport.  Raytracing is used to  calculate the direct
illumination, Monte-Carlo radiosity for the diffuse lighting and photon
mapping for specular light transport.  The combination of all those
results in the color of the pixels.

So how much light reaches a certain point in the scene can be found in
the pixel color.  How accurate this is depends on the scene modeling and
the parameters used.  How much light actually reaches a certain object
on the whole is not possible to derive from this though.

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______