POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mipmapping : Re: mipmapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mipmapping
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 May 2005 03:50:02
Message: <d5v1kl$2v0$1@chho.imagico.de>
tahoma wrote:
>> In  the end i doubt this will lead to better results in shorter time
>> (but i will be happy to be proven wrong).
>
> That's why mipmapping or trilinear filtering is common practice in realtime
> graphics.

Do you think the reason for why it is commonly used is that it won't
lead to better results in shorter time or that i will be proven wrong?

And it is not 'mipmapping or trilinear filtering' - mip-mapping can be
used with trilinear filtering or with other filtering techniques.

> Beside the fact that is decreases cache misses for gpu's to fetch
> texels it gives better results without FSAA.
> Nevertheless you can do fancy things with different textures. If you
> don't  use
> just downsampled textures you can achieve some nice texturing effect
> depended
> on the fragment distance. I don't know if there exists a pattern in
> povray  for
> this.

The distance of the surface from the camera is only one out of many
factors that influence the size an image map appears in in POV-Ray.  You
will only be able to estimate the size and this will only be accurate if
you add some rather expensive calculations (like tracing additional rays).

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______