POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mipmapping : Re: mipmapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mipmapping
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 May 2005 15:45:01
Message: <d5tnad$9nm$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:

>   How so?
>
>   I don't see why mipmapping, and better yet trilinear interpolation
> of image maps could not be implemented in a raytracer. There are a
> couple of twists, but they can be probably solved.

Good luck in doing so.  Note any such technique will have to modify the
very basic concept of raytracing with additions like ray differentials
and you will have a hard time making this work efficiently in arbitrary
cases (i.e. non-standard camera types, reflections/refactions etc.).  In
the end i doubt this will lead to better results in shorter time (but i
will be happy to be proven wrong).

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______