POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV crash with functions : Re: POV crash with functions Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV crash with functions
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Nov 2003 17:52:02
Message: <d5h581-cts.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:

>   Sorry, but I still don't see it. Perhaps I'm unusually dumb today.
>
>   The only thing which I can think of is that you can't create an
> identifier and directly assign a function to it (ie. #local F1 = fn_p;),
> but if that's so, it's illogical and works differently from any other
> identifier type.
>
>   (Compare it to this: You have a #local A = sphere { 0,1 }; and
> then you can do #local B = A; and you don't have to do it like
> #local B = object { A };)

This is to make it easy to distinguish between function calls and
function declarations:

#local X=function (Y) { Y }

#local Y=0;

#local Val1=X(0);
#local Val2=X(Y);

#undef Y

#local Fn1=function (Y) { X(Y) }

I assume it would be possible to allow the '#local B = A' form for
functions as well (although it might be difficult to implement) but
possibilities for obfuscation are already sufficient IMO.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______