POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix) : Re: POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 May 2005 04:15:01
Message: <d5ckfr$2s5$1@chho.imagico.de>
Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Would this imply that it may then become possible to use a more simple
> front end or even create one as a module that could one Windows be an
> ActiveX control or a Python app on Linux, etc? In other words, strip off
> the existing front end and make one that can be tied into another
> application, as long as appropriate information is provided to state that
> the backend is in fact POVRay when its first loaded? I mean the plugin
> system that is available and programs like Moray use is nice, but I felt
> it always did leave a bit to be desired in some cases.

First of all a dynamically linked frontend and a stripped-down backend
would violate the spirit and the letter of the current license - this
has been explaind in depth in the past including the lack of possibility
to simply change the license.

Apart from that what you wrote does not mention what you think would be
possible by dynamically linking the POV-Ray backend with a different app
that is not possible to do via stdin and stdout of the official version.
  Note i am not saying such things don't exist but you have not
mentioned any.  One thing i could think of is the possibility to pause
and resume a render (without stopping it) but this would be quite simple
to add by having POV-Ray interpret pause and resume commands from stdin.

BTW i just announced a program in tools.general that demonstrates how
you can integrate POV-Ray into another program using these means.

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______