POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region : Re: Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Confused about how Merge deals with overlap region
From: Stephen
Date: 8 Nov 2008 08:55:52
Message: <d56bh4h8q7p3rgiq5p8hbqmhulpp1t7ekq@4ax.com>
On Sat,  8 Nov 2008 05:05:53 EST, "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>"Mike" <win### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> I have two transparent objects that I have merged together.  I am a bit confused
>> how it is  dealing with the fact that the two objects have different refractive
>> indices.  Does it just pick one and if so which one?
>>

>That's an intriguing question.
>
>I ran a test scene with two partially-merged transparent spheres, each with a
>different IOR, and the visual results are not easy to fully understand or
>describe.

I did the same and here is the animation.
The spheres on the left have separate textures. The yellowish one has an IOR of
1.2 and the pink one has an IOR of 2. The spheres on the right have the IOR 2.0
texture applied to the Merge and the yellowish one has an IOR of 1.2 and the
pink one has no texture.

http://www.geocities.com/mcavoy.stephen/videos/Merge03_0000.mpg

I am running another animation using an orthographical camera to see the
difference,

--

Regards
     Stephen