POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 7 Mar 2004 09:12:09
Message: <d1bm40hmv75jeiuj3cp3v1382aon91bpk9@4ax.com>
Anyone here willing to discuss the JPEG2000 format and its use in
these groups?

I for one, for obvious reasons, believe it is a valid format to use
for a few reasons:

1. Reduction in file size with less loss in image quality. A bonus for
a news server - esp' one that likes to carry as many of the images
posted to it as possible.

2. Representation of 16-bit colour depth. Very good, since POV-Ray is
capable of producing 16-bit colour depth images. The downside is the
receiving machine's capabilites in regards to this, but at least the
16-bit intent is preserved. This perhaps has no bearing on the groups,
but nether-the-less it is a bonus of the format.

3. Arguably less or less-infringing artifacts. JPEG's artifacts are of
course terriable, but I think JPEG2000 addresses this in a sensible
fashion. However, personally, I'm still not sure if what appears to be
a more blurring type of artifact is the right way to go. How this
relates to the newsgroups is that of course the groups are not really
meant for best quality images, but at least the introduction of less
artifacts shows off the artist's work in a better manner.

Any comments?

Personally, as I said, I would really like to see this format accepted
for use in the image group. It seems that the arguments against it are
mainly related to people's inertia to install the required software,
but that personally smacks of laziness and allows the major software
vendors to sit on their hands. If you sit still, you are going to find
yourself more and more in difficulty trying to deal with what the rest
of the graphics community is up to.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com