POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace : Re: Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Jan 2005 04:55:01
Message: <csap2d$9q5$1@chho.imagico.de>
Slime wrote:

> The idea is that "always_sample off" would apply to the mosaic preview as
> well as the final render, so that the mosaic preview could be used without
> affecting radiosity - for preview purposes.

always_sample off just sets nearest_count to 1 for the final pass so by
using explicitly nearest_count 1 you set always_sample off for the
pretrace as well.

> I understand that mosaic preview and radiosity pretrace share the same code,
> and I'm saying, they shouldn't! (Well, it's not so much a matter of "don't
> share code" as it is "separate the two procedures"; I recognize the
> importance of avoiding duplicating code.) The fact that POV-Ray considers
> these two things as one and the same is - although not technically
> "incorrect" - annoying at times.

As a matter of fact both do not share the same code.  The radiosity
pretrace differs in some aspects.  But still they essentially do quite
similar things.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______