POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace : Re: Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Jan 2005 03:10:02
Message: <csaitb$2e6$1@chho.imagico.de>
Slime wrote:
> How come radiosity pretrace replaces mosaic preview?
>
> They work differently, they have different purposes, and the former has side
> effects which may be undesired (especially when using load_file).

First of all the mosaic preview is always an addition - the colors
calculated during it will not be used in the image (why should be fairly
easy to understand).

Now the radiosity pretrace actually abuses the mosaic preview code for
its own purpose.  This is not so bad since it fits this purpose quite
well.  It would not be difficult to run both a radiosity pretrace and a
mosaic preview but what for?  It would just take additional time.  Also
note turning off the radiosity pretrace while having the mosaic preview
will not really have the effect of no pretrace - radiosity samples would
still be taken, just not with the special settings usually used during
pretrace.

> (By the way, while I'm talking about separating the two, it would really be
> nice if there were a way to turn the radiosity pretrace step off *entirely*,
> to avoid sending any extra samples at all and only use loaded data.)

Just set pretrace_start and pretrace_end to 1.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______