POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using povray as a replacement for mental ray : Re: using povray as a replacement for mental ray Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:12:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using povray as a replacement for mental ray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Dec 2004 05:15:02
Message: <cpbsqh$31r$2@chho.imagico.de>
comomolo wrote:
> I don't know a word about povray. I just use XSI and Maya in my very little
> studio and don't want to buy more mental ray very expensive licenses,
> especially when I dream of building a renderfarm of my own. I was wondering
> how easy or difficult it is to use povray as my main renderer (is it even
> possible?) and leave mental ray behind.

That's a question next to impossible to answer for someone who does not
know the details of your work.  It is a bit like asking "is a motorboat
a good replacement for a car?".

A few facts you might not yet know:

- POV-Ray is a standalone program and not a plugin renderer.  For using
it you will need to write POV-Ray scenes or get/write a tool that
generates POV-Ray scenes from your Maya/whatever scenes.

- While common plugin renderers usually only render triangle meshes
POV-Ray supports a lot of other shapes as well.  This offers a lot of
possibilities but also means POV-Ray supports no techniques that only
work on meshes.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______