POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : color of image map in POVray image : Re: color of image map in POVray image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color of image map in POVray image
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Nov 2004 17:40:02
Message: <co5mtt$l4l$1@chho.imagico.de>
Slime wrote:
>>I noticed when I use an image map in POVray, that the colors in the
>>resulting image differ from the original.
>
> The only time I've ever experienced this is when using PNG files. In this
> case, gamma correction is causing the color changes. This can be fixed by
> adding
>
> global_settings {
> assumed_gamma 1
> }
>
> so that gamma correction has no effect.

Sorry but this is nonsense.  The above will apply normal gamma correction.

If you experience unexpected colors in image maps you have to remember
that POV-Ray does not invert gamma correction in images so you should
use not gamma corrected, linear images for image maps.

The only special thing about PNG images is that they can store gamma
correction information.  Some programs (including POV-Ray) read and
apply this information when present.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______