POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Just a thought : Re: SDL Just a thought Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Just a thought
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Nov 2004 15:55:02
Message: <cntjii$7cg$1@chho.imagico.de>
m1j wrote:

> Would not the program features reflect on the language design and
> vice-versus?

No, the only relation that exists here is that a powerful language makes
some higher level program features unnecessary.

> Funny I feel the same way but the licensing of interface and scripting
> language seems common in modern software marketing. Example: Sun Java vs.
> MS Java.

This is not about licensing use of a language, this is about MS creating
a different, incompatible language and advertising it under the same,
protected name.

> Two things I was thinking of: one, help the povteam by providing a possible
> source of funds; two, draw some attention to POVRAY and POV SDL by moving
> it towards being a standard.

The idea that you could increase the popularity of a language by
disallowing its use does not require any comment IMO...

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______