POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Just a thought : Re: SDL Just a thought Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Just a thought
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Nov 2004 11:55:02
Message: <cnt5eb$440$1@chho.imagico.de>
m1j wrote:
> I have been using Flash and Authorware a lot lately. Both use a version of
> JavaScript and I am finding it to be a real nice language. The thought that
> hit me was that one of POVRay's strongest features is the SDL. The only
> thing I would like to see added is object classes and an expanded material
> coding ability with the strength of renderman shader language but still
> apart of the SDL structure.

You are mixing up two things here - the language design and the program
features.

> The function tools may be enough but I have not
> learned how to use them. After these two additions the SDL could be what
> the pov team uses for financing. For all companies using the SDL for
> modelers or even other commercial raytracers a license fee could be levied.
> If the tool is free then no fee would be required.

Just to make sure - there will be no usage restrictions for use of
current SDL or any future versions, that would be quite ridiculous, a
bit like requesting a fee from everyone who wants to speak a certain
language.

What might be interesting and useful (but i am not sure if practicable)
is to license a future POV-SDL parser for use in 3rd party programs.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______