POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem with photon mapping : Re: Problem with photon mapping Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with photon mapping
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Nov 2004 08:00:01
Message: <cnq37o$afq$1@chho.imagico.de>
Yeager wrote:
> Hi!!
>
> I'm a new user of POV. I looked your FAQ but I didn't find answers to my
> problem.
>
> I need to model a cornell box with photon mapping. I used different scenes
> gave with pov to do it.
>
> However, my photons in the scene are not always shot and when they are shot,
> they don't give good results of global illumination. I don't see any
> difference between basic ray tracing and photon mapping?

POV-Ray uses photon mapping for calculating caustics but not for global
illumination.  In other words - photons in POV-Ray only take into
account the specular but not the diffuse light transport.  This is
explained in detail in Wann Jensen's work and Nathan's paper on the
POV-Ray photon patch (you can find it at
http://nathan.kopp.com/photons.htm).  In fact photons can't be used
efficiently for global illumination directly, you can just use them for
speeding up other global illumination techniques.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______