POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray speed guide : Re: POV-Ray speed guide Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray speed guide
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 Nov 2004 16:20:02
Message: <cndqpd$l6p$1@chho.imagico.de>
Florian Brucker wrote:
> I've put together a guide on how to improve rendering speed with
> POV-Ray. It is meant to be an introduction to the topic, a collection of
> links to already existing articles and a place to publish new tips and
> tricks:
>
> http://torfbold.com/index.php?main=Graphics&sub=POV+Speed+Guide
>
> I'm of course very interested in feedback from the community. So if
> you've got critcism, suggestions, spotted typos, etc. I'd like to know
> about it.

Fairly elaborate but you stay somewhat vague in a lot of places - in the
hardware section you say FPU, L1 cache, L2 cache, memory and bus speed
are important but not to what extend and what this means for the reader
- in fact the influence of memory/cache performance depends quite a lot
on the scene.  These parts of your guide are probably of quite limited
help for someone who tries to speed up his renders.

What you write about performance of scanline rendering vs. raytracing is
  wrong in fact - like any statement that one of them is faster than the
other.  They just scale differently.  Also it is not that much more
research is going into scanline rendering algorithm improvements than
into raytracing techniques but of course there is a real lot of money
put into specialized hardware.

Still it gives a nice outline what aspects are actually influencing the
render speed.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______