POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Displacement mapping in Povray : Re: Displacement mapping in Povray Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:09:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement mapping in Povray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Oct 2004 08:30:02
Message: <cltcqs$4q3$1@chho.imagico.de>
Sascha Ledinsky wrote:

>> ==> the only shape that could profit from a displacement mapping
>> feature is the mesh but apart from render time subdivision with
>> displacement
>

> Bicubic patches would profit.
> In future (if somone finds it worthwile to implement it) nurbs and all
> kind of subdivision surfaces could profit too.

I am loosing interest in arguing here: As long as i have anything to say
there will be no feature added to POV-Ray or MegaPOV that adds support
for displacement mapping specifically to bicubic patches.  A generic
mesh displacement might be interesting but redundant to some extent.

> To sum it up:
> In this thread it was claimed that POV-Ray supports NURBS and that
> POV-Ray can do displacment-mapping. This is simply not true. You can't
> seriously argue that those things are supported *IN* POV-Ray by using an
> *EXTERNAL* application!

At the risk of repeating myself:  POV-Ray supports NURBS and
displacement mapping as much as (and more than as far as isosurfaces are
concerned) most other *renderers* available that use the raytracing
algorithm.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______