POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Displacement mapping in Povray : Re: Displacement mapping in Povray Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:09:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement mapping in Povray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Oct 2004 07:45:02
Message: <clta7s$495$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:

>>- it is not possible to add a displacement feature to any shape POV-Ray
>>renders analytically.
>

>   Change "possible" to "efficient" and then you may be right. (And it
> probably shouldn't hurt putting a "probably" somewhere.)

Well - then you would have to be able to give me an example of a POV-Ray
shape where you can modify the analytical root solver to support
displacement mapping.  As long as you don't i keep my statement that
this is not possible (and i am quite sure about this).

>>==> the only shape that could profit from a displacement mapping feature
>>is the mesh but apart from render time subdivision with displacement
>>this is already possible to implement in SDL (or external programs).
>
> [...]
>   On-the-fly subdivision and displacement can't be done by modelling: It has
> to be done by the renderer itself.

Is what i write somehow impossible to understand?  If not i have no idea
why you post such a reply.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______