POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Displacement mapping in Povray : Re: Displacement mapping in Povray Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:09:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement mapping in Povray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Oct 2004 04:25:01
Message: <clsuoh$1rp$1@chho.imagico.de>
Sascha Ledinsky wrote:

>> Why would you want to do this if it is a mesh anyway and you could
>> displace the mesh (any mesh, not just patches)?
>

> Here is an example image of a renderman displacement shader applied to a
> sphere: [...]

Renderman is using scanline rendering techniques, this has nothing to do
here.  And there of course is no self shadowing in the image you used as
example.

> Back to your question:
> I'd agree if we're talking about very-high-resolution triangle meshes
> only. Displacing the vertices has the same effect as applying a
> "displacement shader". But I disagree as far as NURBS, other patch
> meshes, or parametric surfaces in general are concerned (currently POV
> supports bicubic bezier patches only, and that not very well).
> Displacing just the controlpoints of a NURBS mesh has certainly not the
> desired effect!

I'd suggest you reread what i wrote.  This remark shows you have
completely misunderstood it.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______