POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : oddity in media.cpp : Re: oddity in media.cpp Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:07:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: oddity in media.cpp
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Oct 2004 04:15:02
Message: <ckvtr0$27j$1@chho.imagico.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Then you fundamentally misunderstood the point we always made: We will not
> discuss the design in public, and we do not endorse design discussions in
> public either.  Every discussion about design ideas is just ignored,
> regardless of what is being discussed.

Speaking only for myself:

this is a bit exaggerated (or at least could be easily misunderstood).
Development of POV-Ray does (and i hope will always do) include
discussion in the POV Community.  This of course does not mean that
everything is first discussed in the public newsgroups.

What does this mean for discussing ideas: I would no way generally
discourage starting discussion of individual ideas for future POV-Ray
development including design issues.  But you should always remember
that whatever result such a discussion might have this will not
necessarily have an effect on what's actually developed.  So it would
probably be a better idea to keep such a discussion focussed more on
requirements than on actual design.  Note i am not talking about
concrete raytracing features here, i mean general requirements you
consider important for the planning of a new POV-Ray.  Discussing
concrete features now would be like starting to build a house by
building the roof.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______